- It is important to protect the environment and prevent unintentional misuse and illegal abuse by properly disposing of unused medications. Controlled substances such as pain medications should be disposed of with particular care and therefore must be returned to the pharmacy or surgery for safe disposal.
- Before disposing of any medication, you should consult the label for any specific instructions.
- Unused medicines cannot be reissued, if you never open them. It is against the law to re-issue medicines once dispensed.
- Please return your unused medicines to the pharmacy or surgery for safe disposal.
- Do not flush medicines down the toilet as this feeds into the waterways and wider environment. The disposal of unused prescription medications is getting considerable attention due to concerns over the detection of pharmaceutical ingredients in the environment.
ONLY ORDER WHAT YOU NEED – AVOID UNNECESSARY WASTE
The potential money wasted on medicines across Somerset, could pay for;
- 809 hip replacements
- 1,013 knee replacements
- 117 community nurses
- 197 drug treatment courses for breast cancer
- 3,000 more drug treatment courses for Alzheimer’s
Help Reduce Waste
NICE - Getting the best from your medicines