The Accessible Information Standard....
aims to ensure that disabled people have access to information they can understand and the communication support they may need. The Standard applies to service providers across the NHS and adult social care system. As organisations that provide NHS services, GP practices are required by law to follow the Standard under Section 250 of the Health and Social Care Act.
There are five key requirements of the Standard.
1. Ask patients and carers if they have any information or communication needs, and find out how to meet their needs.
2. Record those needs in a set way.
3. Highlight a patient's file, so it is clear that they have information or communication needs, and clearly explain how those needs should be met.
4. Share information about a person's needs with other NHS and adult social care providers, when they have consent or permission to do so.
5. Make sure that people get information in an accessible way and communication support if they need it.